This is an amazing and exotic soup that is perfect during the fall and winter!
Don't let the name fool you - this is a fabulous "mid-west" cold weather soup! I came across the core of this recipe in a magazine somewhere a few years back and have tweaked it around a bit since then. It's easy to make and combines some unusual flavors to make a soup that is exotic, yet comforting.
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree unsweetened (from a can works great)
- 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
This recipe makes a great vegan soup simply by using vegetable stock or water in place of chicken stock, and of course, don't use any butter or cream!